As a 501c3 non-profit organization. It is a requirement that Los Gatos United provide minutes from each board meeting to those who are interested.
LGUSL Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Los Gatos United Soccer League
Annual Public Meeting and Board Meeting Minutes
Called to Order 7:14 PM – February 26, 2018
Attendance – Paolo Cocchiglia, Chris Davis, Nick Hatzke, Anne Smets, Scott Coldan, Matt Lopez, AJ Escobar, Kelly Gray, Elaina Rosales (Rec Registrar), Sharon Kirk, and John Curtis
Meeting called to order at 7:14 pm by Matt Lopez
January Board Meeting minutes approved – Scott Colgan made motion and the motion carried.
Next order of business is the 2018 Budget
Matt distributed 2018 Budget for review and discussion.
Question about the number Norcal vs. CCSL teams. LGUSL registered 9-10 teams in Norcal and 26 teams in CCSL.
On Balance Sheet – Reserve for field improvements – Paolo asked about the reserve.
Matt explained that this was reserved for Fisher field improvements
Use funds to pay extra fees for fields Creekside has not billed LGUSL yet for 2017 also guessing
On what expenses, in this year’s budget, were expenses incurred last year. Anne said that we expect some expenses to go up. John asked about budget comparison to actuals in 2017 for trends. Anne said that it is difficult to compare year to year as financial changes occur in treasurer role. Kelly said that historically, expenses ratchet up and then LGUSL increases its fees to comp program and tends to catch up. Kelly said that there is a big influx of cash in December from Comp.
For forecasting, Kelly said that he looks at pre-school registration for trends in Los Gatos and the wider market.
Question – when was last time fees were raised? – Rec was raised in 2017 and Comp raised in 2016. Some discussion of how much rec fees were raised. Some discussion of raising Comp fees in 2019.
John asked about the amount of insurance budgeted. Anne explained that certain insurance was purchased directly by LGUSL and additional insurance is included due to member fees paid to CYSL. Additional business insurance is carried by KGS. Paolo asked about the reliance on
the rec program for profitability. Going younger in Comp will take coaches away from the recreational program. Communication is better for the Comp program. Motion to approve the Budget was passed.
Fields and scheduling of Rec and Comp games
Discussion of availability of fields on Saturday morning. Creekside is available after 2pm on Saturday and all day Sunday. Stratford is available all day Saturday.
Discussion of the need on Saturday for a field to accommodate 11 v 11 game. Spring Rec scheduling is done and will be held at Lee HS. How to solve Saturday fields. 180 games to schedule. 36 teams x 5 home games. All 7v7 games on Saturday at Stratford and cancel Sunday options for 7v7. Using Lee is not a good option. Comp games to HS to open up Creekside and cone it off. Matt suggested using a stretched webbing across the field to better divide fields.
Option 1 is 7v7 on Saturdays
Option 2 is using webbing for field at Lee.
Saturday morning rental of Los Gatos fields. CCSL get Saturday Full size 11 v11 on Saturday. Los Gatos High School request is 8am – 2 pm. Paolo and Matt will take what they will give us. Sunday is ok too.
Recreational Program Planning
Matt and Chris. How do we improve the process for Rec in March/April. Last year LGUSL did not have a good sense of the numbers. Early bird special posted at Easter. Also discussion of incentive for coaches. Need to nail down registration dates – what are the dates. Incentive vs. late fee. Bonus for referrals? Should something be offered for age group coordinators? How many do we need? Chris said 12. Chris has language on what the age group coordinator does and how many hours it takes during pre-season and during the season.
Discussion of what dates to advertise for Fall Rec. 180 players now for spring probably 220. Fall is 900+. 300 late reservations and fees were waived where players were needed. Order extra uniforms so no team is without a uniform. Everyone gets a buddy request. Only 30% request a buddy. Discussion of fact that South Bay allows whole teams.
Discussion of registration open date – May 1 or May 15th. First message earlier. Open May 1st and get the school information for the Wednesday newsletter. Late Fee, June 30th Early Bird price is same as regular fee last year. Then non-early bird fee includes what used to be the late fee. Can Bonzi take donations?
$250 was fee last year.
Spring Rec, Clinics, Camps, Elite Clinics – all Cinch
KGS provided an update on registrations. 397 players paid in Bonzi – 36 which is up 4 from. Open tryouts occuring now and expecting 50 players from tryouts. All teams practice for 3 teams. Norcal schedules released this week. CCSL registration starts. Prelims in 1.5 weeks for CCSL.
KGS winter futsal – great participation
Spring Rec – 180-220 players registered to play Sunday 9-11 at HS
Summer Camps registration is open right now. $99 for a full day – cap at 100 players. Now at 65 players.
Signs for summer camps around town.
New Offering for Competitive
Currently LGUSL doesn’t offer something for our best players. Plan to offer a Summer Elite Academy – high level players to train through the summer 2 days of week. Santa Clara University and San Jose State University have offered coaches as speakers. Camp will focus more on the mental side, confidence building, team building. 2 hr – 1.15 of physical and .45 of mental. Tuesday and Thursday. 6 weeks. $350 cost. Day camp is geared towards rec players. Comp players are pushed off to someone else for day camp.
Marketing and Website
Scott Colgan – Website is coming online soon. Couple of days for the link. Scott showed mobile demo with field open indicator on the bottom. Feedback from parents over the year and incorporate them into the website. Involved for coaching, refs, board, league sponsorship and donation. Launch by the end of the week. Question from AJ – Ref class
Sportisimo – Sergio is up for 10% off for a 2 week period. Program with Sportissimo as fundraiser for 10% going to LGUSL. Big items plus one a month small items.
Parents feedback – discussion of how to get better feedback from parents on website. Suggested a feedback button on the website. How to follow up on feedback sent?
Fall kick off event
Matt has proposed kick off event for LGUSL. Tried and adult league. Event focused on Soccer. Parents Tournament. 20 teams, 7 v7 and non-contact. Mix team based on skill level. Same location that coaches and players can pick up uniforms. Includes everyone. After school starts and before labor day. 1,500 players – 2,500 and 5,000. 20 teams of 10. 25th of August. Matt suggested 2 brackets one is rec and one is open. With other teams coming from adult groups/companies. Charge $25 and charge for food trucks. 20 teams double elim. 38 games.
Recruit coaches for rec during the event. Discussion of different levels. Scott will help Matt and will form sub-group to plan and execute.
Los Gatos United – Earthquake event. Players get to walk on the field. Discount in general 15-20 bucks and all in one section. Fun Zone. May 19th wear uniform.
Side skills activities. Asked to think about what league can can we give away as swag.
Player Kyle Taylor is 19 had heart attack on Thursday. Request to do something for the family. In Past LGUSL has made donations up to $250 or provided flowers. Know the family. Go Fund Me page is to support family for medical expenses. Can LGUSL website link to Go Fund Me to website?
A motion to approve $250 contribution to go fund me page and link site to website was approved. Agreed to reach out to family about linking to gofundme website.
Motion to adjourn at 9:08 pm. Motion passed.
LOS GATOS UNITED SOCCER LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Nov 27, 2017
7:20pm Meeting Commenced
Items Requiring Vote
- Approved October Minutes
- Began today – 408 participants registered.
- Expect about 500 players for spring
- Tom Sutton – Manager Liason
- Report to Sharon
- Team Managers – trainings and webinars and each program used to schedule games, register players, etc.
- Age Group Managers
- On Dec 11th will send out a registration email test
- Invites to be sent starting on the 15th
- Develop flyers for tryouts with important dates for 2018
- Parade only has 20 sign ups
- Would like to have some Banners for the Parade
- Scott and Matt will work on a Fundraising plan for 2018
- LG Rec – Intro to Director to discuss after school programs
- Small Sided Games. Build teams based on attendance
- For competitive level players
- Will begin Jan 14th
- Spring Rec to begin March 25th and go for 10 weeks
- Registration to begin in January
- Changing comp team levels to Academy and Pre-Academy
- Uniforms will need to be ordered at the End of January to have in time for Spring Season
- Play through program will continue with Alamaden for Fall.
Adjourned at 8:41pm
- Complaints from residents near Stratford about parking and drop-off on Kentfield. Need to remind all comp families about rules at Stratford.
- Email to POLG players about rules prior to tourney weekend.
- Review of website update proposals
- Motion to award project to Scott Colgan approved
- No updates on Firenza fundraiser
- Move to monthly fundraiser with local companies
- Futsal King reached out to league to ask to market to membership. Through LGS rec. Board did not come to decision
- Anne to identify location for Board holiday event
- 2018 Budget – Board to email Anne with changes or adds by Nov 15th.
- Board Slate for 2018
- Recruit board members
- Info Night agenda and planning
9:28pm Meeting adjourned
LOS GATOS UNITED SOCCER LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
September 25, 2017, 7:13pm
- Items Requiring Vote:
- August Board Meeting minutes – Approved
- Approval of updated 2017 Board Slate – Approved
- LGUSL Monthly Board Meeting Items:
- Competitive update –
- 4 tournaments recently with three wins
- 1 unhappy age group 05 girls white – originally 3 teams of 14 each rosters – multiple drops before the season all games now with guest players
- Start tryouts earlier this year
- Use previous data to estimate team quantities
- League pays for 1 tournament – $500 credit
- 1 in spring
- 2-3 in fall
- Managers should cushion additional cost requests to plan for non players (guests) and scholarships
- Goalkeeper sessions – Wed 5-6:30pm Creekside
- Recreational Update –
- 897 players – 69 teams
- Waiting for CYS to update Bonzi, Coaches updated
- Make up picture day Oct 14th
- Coaches Shirts ordered
- Chris and Sharon building docs for Spring
- POLG – AJ to create tourney schedule – Chris to place teams
- Need volunteers for POLG –
- Field Marshalls
- Tourney organizer
- Action items for KGS – follow up meeting with Wendy and Anne
- Need to provide Neal at Fisher info on Liverpool non-profit status
- Reach out to Neal regarding Fisher field access
- Access to High School on Sundays
- Leigh HS full access. Working on lining options
- Nick – Stratford needs to GO
- Transfer hosting to LGUSL. KGS uses dreamhost
- Send Logos to Scott
- Email coaches
- Email membership on fields
- Creative Brief
- Key sections
- What are we looking for?
- Email for volunteers
- Request for AGC’s
- Field Marshalls (POLG)
- Tryout dates
- New Business
- Need a school liaison
- Financial update
- Comp payments options 1 or 2 pay options to simplify bookkeeping
- Cora needs stripe reports and cinch reports
- Awards for rec
- U6-U9 – little trophy
- U10-U12 – participation medal
- Tourney – trophies for every player from 1st place teams
- U12 – Jamba Juice cards
- Recruit board members
- Nominating committee
- Information night
- Strategic plan – What’s needed and what can be accomplished
- Nominating (Matt L, Scott, Rich, Wendy)
- Recreation (Matt V, Chris, Sharon)
- Competitive (Kelly, Nick, Team Manager (Tom Sutton), Comp Director(Mark Peattie), President)
- Marketing (Scott, Rec, Comp, President)
- Finance (Wendy, Anne, ?)
- Meeting adjourned 9:37pm